I know there are a lot of people out there who don’t really care for Valentine’s day. I use to be one of those people, but as I grow older I have learned that the meaning of Valentine’s day is so much deeper than just chocolates and roses and it’s not about dividing the people who are in a relationship and those who are not.
It’s about love. No, not just the type of love that you have for your boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband… it’s about ALL types of love. It’s about self love, the love you share for your sweet fur babies, the love between a mother and a daughter, the love you have for Italian food, the love you have for your family, and the love you have for those girls that always have your back through anything. You see, I had it all wrong. It’s not about being in a relationship at all… it’s about the love in your heart, in any shape or form.
DIY 1: DIY Photo in a Bottle
Photos truly do speak a thousand words. It’s a moment in time, captured and frozen forever, that brings back so many feelings and emotions. That’s why I think this little spin on gifting a photo is one of my favorite gifts of all time! It might be small, but it is mighty in terms of what it stands for and the meaning behind it all.
What you need for this:
-1 mini jar with lid (only $2 at target)
-1 photo of your choice
-1 piece of string (about 1-2 inches depending on jar size)
1. Print out your photo, but before you do make sure that it will fit inside of your jar! For the mini sized jars, the photos need to be pretty small to get inside. Make sure to cut off any excess paper you do not want/need.
2. Take your string, lay it on the back of the lid, and secure it with a small piece of tape.
3. Take the other side of the string and attach it to the photo and secure it with another small piece of tape.
4. Gently fit your photo in the bottle. Close the lid once the photo is fully inside of the jar.
Yay! Now you have the perfect little gift to give to anyone you want to. When it comes to love, it’s the little things that matter and this is definitely a gift that will automatically put a smile on someone's face!
DIY 2: DIY Punny Brown Bag
This is for all of your family members and friends who love a good laugh! See, I told you not everything on Valentine’s day has to be your typical lovey dovey type of stuff… we can have fun too! For that reason, this is one of my absolute favorite types of gifts because they’re just so fun to put together and to see the smiles and laughs they create!
What you need for this:
-1 brown paper bag
-3 items from the list below
-Pen/Marker (any color you’d like)
-Confetti/fake rose petals (optional)
List of Items for Puns: (choose 3 or however many you want that the person you’re giving this to will enjoy!)
-Lollipop (“I’m a sucker for you”)
-Pop Rocks (“You rock my world”
-Life Saver Gummies (“You are my life-saver”)
-Donuts (“I love you a HOLE bunch”)
-Rolo Candy (“I like the way you roll”)
-Starbursts (“You’re the STAR in my eyes”)
-Apple (“You’re the apple of my eye”)
-Soda of any choice (“You’re soda amazing”)
-Lip Balm (“Did you know you’re the balm?”
-Buddies Chex Mix (“I’m so glad we are buddies!”)
-Goldfish (“Out of all the fish in the sea, i’m glad you chose me!”
-Mints (“We are mint to be together”)
-Hot Cheetos (“You’re so hot”)
-Extra Gum (“You are extra special to me”)
-Reeses Pieces (“I love you to pieces”)
-Tea (You're a cu-tea")
1. After choosing which puns and items you want to use, write each pun down on separate pieces of paper.
2. Cut the paper down to a smaller size that will look good when taped to the item.
3. Tape each pun to its corresponding item and place them in the brown bag.
4. Throw in your confetti or fake rose petals if you’d like to before you add tissue paper.
5. Add the tissue paper on top and any bows, string, “to and from” sticker or any other cute little elements you’d like!
This is such a fun little gift that takes less than an hour to make! Not only is it customizable to the person you're giving it to, but it's a whole lot of fun to piece together! If you're looking for a cute way to show someone that you care for them, this is a great option for you!
DIY 3: DIY 365 Days Jar
If you like a gift that keeps on giving, this is the perfect little project for you! With this little jar, you’ll be able to spread a little love every single day for a whopping 365 days! It doesn’t take much time to make, but it makes a big statement that you wouldn’t be able to find in any gift you could buy at a store.
What you need for this:
- One medium-sized jar
- Paper (4-5 sheets)
- 4 colored pens/markers (can be any colors you want)
1. Make a key. Choose which color corresponds with each label:
There are 4 different labels. Here is an example of what I mean:
-Pink: We’re doing this
-Yellow: Reasons why I love you
- Blue: Quotes + Lyrics
2. Cut out a small piece of paper that will fit on the front of the jar. Write “365 Days Jar” on the top and underneath is where the key will be added.
3. Cut out 365 little pieces of paper.
4. Make 4 piles out of the pieces of paper. Divide the amount however you see fit. (You may have more memories you’d like to share or you may want to share more reasons why you love them. This is all customizable and you’re free to do whatever you want!)
5. Write what you want to on each paper. Make sure you’re writing in the correct color!
That’s it! Now you have a gift that will keep on giving for a whole year! Like I mentioned before, sometimes it’s the small things that speak the loudest words and this gift is a prime example of that.
Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s day or not, I hope that you walk away from reading this today knowing that Valentine’s day isn’t about making out, being in a relationship, or even who receives the most flowers or the most expensive gift. It’s about the love we all have in our hearts, no matter what or who that love may be for. Love is an emotion we all share, it connects us as humans and as our individuals selves, and I think that should be something we celebrate each and every day!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram (@becca_isdale) if you recreate any of these DIY gifts! I would love to see how yours turn out!
I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
In the mean time, you can also find me here:
Pinterest: Becca Isdale